Skip to main content

4th of July Honey Drops (Mom M Recipe #5)

It has been a little hot for baking lately so there has been a little hiatus in trying recipes from the box.     I got some great honey from the farmers market a couple of weeks ago and had been wondering what I was going to use it in.    Then I saw this recipe in the box for Honey Drops.   




 

I don't recall having these before, but the recipe looks well used so 
they must have been made a time or two.   





     The recipe makes a nice dough that is easy to roll into balls for baking.






Though I was not sure that this was the prescribed method since this like many of the recipes listed only ingredients and no directions.   










But they baked up just right.  You have to make the balls on the smaller side since you are putting them together in sandwich fashion.   I suppose you could make a giant sandwich cookie, but I prefer the smaller size. 






Since I do not like apricot preserves and since it was 4th of July, I substituted red raspberry and then also made a cream cheese icing colored blue.     These are an easy cookie to make and the honey and brown sugar give them a little different taste than a traditional sugar cookie.  

Happy 4th of July !!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pate de Choux (British Baking Show - Bake #4)

I used the less fussy pate de choux recipe that I made growing up before I knew the correct french term for cream puff dough.   I have made it the fussy way and the way I will describe below and I don't really notice much difference.   Here is is:  Put one stick of butter in 1 cup of water and bring to a boil; add 1 cup of flour and stir until combined; remove from heat and add 4 eggs one at time making sure that each egg is fully incorporated before adding the next. If you have never made these before, the dough gets slimy when you add the add and then you keep stirring and in a blink it incorporates into the dough.     For this bake, I made chocolate eclairs with chocolate glaze and regular cream puffs with a cardamom cream filling.   Pipe eclairs or puff onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment and cook until golden.  Cook time depends on the size of the puff but make sure to not take them out too early so they are able to have the right crisp and not be doughty inside. 

Don't Waffle about your favorite recipe (Down a Sourdough Rabbit Hole #3)

I tried two different waffle recipes, One was using an overnight sponge and one was mixed 1/2 hour before making. The 1st time I made the overnight sponge recipe, I thought thye were really good but the the next few times, they were ok. I saw this quicker recipe without the overnight wait and gave it a try. I think I like the quicker version better. They seem to hold up better if sharing them and if eating over the next few days. This may already be a known idea, but reheating the waffles using the waffle iron the next day makes them turn out like you just made them. I also experimented with some whipped butters. I made a maple with maple syrup, a raspberry with raspberry jam and a lemon with a bit of lemon juice and zest. The raspberry was the biggest hit. Here are the two recipes I tried: Overnight Sponge Waffles And here is the 30 minute version  30 Minute Waffles My opinion is that the overnight ones seems a bit lighter, but the 30 minute ones were tastier and easier.  Th

It's a Snap (Sourdough Rabbit Hole Recipe #2)

Crackers are a great and easy way to use the sourdough discard if you are like me and do not like to throw things away.  I have tried two recipes and I much prefer the one with the olive oil as they are super easy to roll out.  The crackers though go from perfect to burned in about 2 seconds so you have to keep a close eye on them.   The couple is keeping an eye on the crackers.  I roll them on silicone mats and cut them with a pizza cutter into squares.  You also should poke each square with a fork so they don't puff up.  My recommendation is adding more herbs than noted in the recipe and a little more salt.   Olive Oil Recipe - the one I recommend.  This one does not have you cut them in squares, but I still like to do that.  You can experiment with flavored oils and different spices and herbs, but I have had the most luck with the Herbs de Provence https://www.loveandoliveoil.com/2019/03/sourdough-crackers-with-olive-oil-herbs.html Butter Recipe  - these are harder to mix and  r